Pages

10 December 2010

The End is Near, Louisiana

On Monday, I finished my last piece of assessment for my degree ever! The prospect of no longer being a student triggered a mix of thoughts and emotions in me.  I've been warned it'll be the little things I'll miss like enjoying student discounts (on transport, movies etc), having plenty of spare time and being able to sleep-in.  Eeeek!

It's been a jam-packed week for me as I attempt to fit in as much as possible before I leave Copenhagen in less than a week.  I've been organising my next month of travelling around Europe and North Africa, running errands such as closing bank and phone accounts, and of course, spending some quality final moments with my friends before we all leave.

Christmas markets seem to have popped up everywhere in Copenhagen.  I stumbled upon one on Monday evening just off the main street of Stroget.  A number of edible treats like pastries, toffee apples, and glogg were on show, tempting us into emptying our wallets.

Christmas Markets
Later that evening I went to Nick and Maria's place in Vesterbro for the weekly movie night they've been running for a month or so.  The two of them cooked up a storm for dinner as usual (which I'm so grateful of!), and with ample popcorn on hand, we watched City of God on their friend's projector.  Every time I watch a movie there, I can't help but add it to my list of favourite movies ever!  Previous movies there include Trainspotting and Exit Through the Gift Shop.

On Tuesday, a handful of us finally visited the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art.  I've heard amazing things about this place since I moved here, and it easily lived up to expectations.  We spent a whole day there, exploring its numerous exhibitions and outdoor sculptures by the sea.  I was particularly impressed with the exhibition by Walton Ford, whose beautiful, highly saturated life-sized paintings of exotic animals commented on how humans associate animals with certain traits.  For instance, in his Birds of America project, his work discusses why the USA decided to adopt the Bald Eagle as it's national bird, contrary to George Washington's suggestion for adopting the Wild Turkey (which, unlike the Bald Eagle, is exclusive only to North America).  What is it exactly that gives a Bald Eagle the desirable human traits of courage and bravery?

Walton Ford's Exhibition
Outside Louisiania
Outside Louisiania
While I was there, I was also excited to see some of Yves Klein's work.  I've known about his legendary work ever since high school when my friends Michael and Charles told me all about him and his creation of International Klein Blue, a special colour of blue that retains its pigment when suspended in oil.  They're in a great band from back home called Yves Klein Blue and have been making waves for years.  Check them out while you're here!

Now I have to run.  (Errands).

1 comments:

Leah said...

Minor alteration: it was Ben Franklin who suggested the Wild Turkey as our national bird.

Post a Comment